“NEW WAYS” PROJECT COORDINATOR - Position Description
New Ways Project Coordinator
First United Church, Ottawa, ON
February 1, 2019 to January 30, 2020
15 hours/week (hours are flexible)
$25.00 an hour
Through consultation within and beyond the faith community of First United Church, the “New Ways Project Coordinator” will lead a project called New Ways. The mandate of this project is to identify areas of growth at First United and to kick-start creative new ways of being a community of faith that can be maintained in the long-run, as well as to update and strengthen present practices.
First United is a faith community inspired and informed but not limited by the Christian story.
Emerging realities for faith communities in the 21st century include an aging population and reduced membership, although this is not presently the case at First United, the membership of which includes many young families and people of all ages.
First United recognizes the need to continually evolve as a faith community to remain vibrant and sustainable. Some of these areas of growth include the following:
This project has developed into two streams:
· 50% of time:
o What new ways can we serve those who are already here?
· 50% of time:
o How can we be a good neighbor to the larger community? If we disappeared tomorrow, would the neighborhood notice?
Duties and responsibilities
Project Management and Development
• What new ways can we be church for those who are already here?
· Encouraging interaction between different generations
· Engaging youth and young adults (15-30)
· Welcoming and onboarding of newcomers
· What are other faith communities doing?
· Support the development of an internal and external communications plan for First
· Support and facilitate the formation of new small groups as people come forward to run them
• How can we be a good neighbor to the larger community?
· Engage respectfully with a diversity of populations, in terms of race, ethnicity, income, religion, ability, gender and sexuality.
· Shine a light on the needs of the neighborhood- poverty, lack of affordable housing, gentrification
· Reach out to our next door neighbor organizations in Westboro and in the Ottawa community
· Explore social enterprise opportunities
· What are other faith communities doing? How do they serve their neighborhoods?
• Use creativity and technological and social media savvy to accomplish project goals.
• Delegate, train and support interested volunteers to complete tasks
• Communicate about the project through oral presentations, one-on-one engagement, and written updates and reports.
• Engage in regular discussion on task prioritization with the New Ways Committee.
• Meet regularly with the minister (at least bi-weekly) to develop work plans for New Ways.
No requirement to provide leadership in Sunday Gatherings.
Attend Sunday Gatherings to network, make announcements monthly or as required.
No requirement to provide professional pastoral care
No requirement to provide theological education
No fundraising requirement
No requirements to manage First United’s social media accounts
Work space at the church is available, and working remotely is welcomed.
Must be available to work in evenings as required.
Experience (paid or volunteer)
· Project management
· Community engagement, consultation and development
· Working in not-for-profit settings
· Recruiting and training volunteers
· Change management
· Strategic communication/marketing & social media
· Relevant post-secondary education is desirable
Provide at least three references who can verify specific examples of relevant experience.
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]